Home > Blog >

Brandman University's Official Blog

After he graduated from high school, Peter D'Andrea enrolled in a community college in his native New Jersey with the hope of eventually transferring to the Virginia Military Institute (VMI). But, like so many others across the country, it didn’t work out and during the first semester, he dropped out. One recent study shows that over 90 percent of community college students stop at some point, and the longer those students pause their education, the less likely they are to earn a degree.

Read More

University Degrees Play Larger Role for Law Enforcement Officers and Recruits

Competition is fierce in the job market, and nowhere is that more true than in the field of law enforcement. As agencies look to hire top candidates, the new Police Chief in Milton, Washington, Tony Hernandez, says obtaining a university degree is of growing importance for job candidates. “The role of education is so important to contemporary policing,” says Hernandez. “What we’re starting to see is that for sergeants and above, people need to have that bachelor’s degree and beyond. For upper tier management, you need at least a master’s degree.”

Read More

Competency-Based Education from a Subject Matter Expert

With the emergence of Competency-Based Education (CBE) in the higher education cosmos, the journey seeking continues. The career professional, retired service member, 'career changer,' overachiever and the like, are looking for ways to expand their knowledge bases and ultimately, earn degrees that acknowledge their skill sets. Discover how they are finding new ways of thinking through and realizing their education.

Read More

A Model Leader Creates A Model Community

As educators, we are proud to feature stories that celebrate the success of our students and alumni, especially when their efforts contribute to the betterment of schools and their systems. Today we highlight Rochelle L. Franco as she tells her story becoming a leader, president and catalyst for positive change in her community.

Read More

Our Faculty's Role In Hatching Positive Change

By Dr. Jalin A. Brooks Johnson on Jun 30, 2014

"It may be hard for an egg to turn into a bird: it would be a jolly sight harder for it to learn to fly while remaining an egg. We are like eggs at present. And you cannot go on indefinitely being just an ordinary decent egg. We must be hatched or go bad." This is one of my favorite quotes from novelist C.S. Lewis (1952), that inspired me to reflect on my experience at Brandman

Read More

Topics: Schools, Happenings, School of Business & Professional Studies, Faculty Spotlight

A Life Well Integrated

By Janine McDonald on Jun 25, 2014

I am human like everyone else. I try. I strive. I fail. I lapse. I start over. I achieve. I learn. I share. My life, like many others, is a work in progress. As a business owner, single mother to a 12 year old son, practicing yogi, dog owner and community volunteer, I am often asked, "How do you do it all? How do you achieve that ever illusive work/life balance?" My answer - Integration.

Read More

Topics: School of Business & Professional Studies, Alumni

The Flipside of Flextime: The Biggest Morning Work Mistake

By Lindsay Amanda on Jun 4, 2014

The popularity of offering flextime programs to employees is skyrocketing among modern companies in efforts to encourage a healthy balance between work and life commitments. Although it seems like an ideal concept for many busy professionals who have to drop their kids off at daycare or school before work, a new study reveals that it may present the biggest morning work mistake for the career conscious.

Read More

Topics: Career, Front Page, School of Business & Professional Studies

Lessons From The Best To Inspire You To Build Your Own Business

By Lindsay Amanda on May 29, 2014

Entrepreneurs exist in every arena, from corporate america to political circles, consumer electronics and beyond, there are lessons out there that can help you build your own business. We take a look at those that came straight from the lips of some of the greatest influencers of our time to inspire new college grads to go forth and change the world.

Read More

Topics: Schools, Front Page, School of Business & Professional Studies

While Recession Ends One Career, Education Begins Another

By Margo Myers on May 27, 2014

When the economic downturn hit in 2008 it meant economic hardship for many realtors, including Emily Hetland of Olympia, Washington, who suddenly saw her income plummet. “Here I am with the recession hitting, in the middle of a divorce, and with two teenagers ready to graduate

Read More

Topics: Student Life, School of Business & Professional Studies, Student Spotlight

Top Career Paths for Business Graduates

By Lindsay Amanda on May 5, 2014

All around the nation, at public and private universities alike, graduation season is officially under way. After the speeches have been read, the tassels and caps have flown, hoods and stripes have been granted, the graduates and their supporters excitedly dream about what’s to come.

Read More

Topics: Schools, Front Page, School of Business & Professional Studies, Alumni

The Importance of Participating in Corporate Wellness Programs

By Lindsay Amanda on Apr 29, 2014

As employees we tend to focus on the goals designated to our department and can lose touch of the importance of applying systems thinking tactics to improve our organizations overall. Every company should have a corporate wellness program that contributes to the betterment of the employees.

Read More

Military Student Shares His Inspiration with the World

By Margo Myers on Apr 22, 2014

Online education has completely transformed how students engage in learning and apply their newly acquired skills to their careers. Brandman University is proud to make education accessible to nontraditional students, including those with military commitments that need high levels of flexibility to fit their studies into extremely busy schedules.

Read More

Topics: Student Life, School of Business & Professional Studies, Alumni, Military

Brandman Couple Puts Their Education to Work by Going Fishing

By Margo Myers on Apr 8, 2014

For Marc Bush, ‘a day at the office’ means loading up the fishing gear, hauling the boat and taking clients out on the water for guided fishing trips. “I like the challenge of fishing,” says Bush. “I’ve been fishing all my life after my grandfather taught me, and now I like to share that knowledge with others.”

Read More

Topics: Student Life, School of Business & Professional Studies, Alumni